Eating out can be tough if you’re health conscious. Here are 5 tips for eating healthy while dining out! These are my five rules for eating healthy while dining out. For more tips, check out this article about eating clean at restaurants.
- Avoid white flour when you can. I’ve basically never been able to find a *real* whole wheat option at restaurants, but get as close as you can. Pastas are a no-go, especially since they’re often covered in buttery sauces that pack on calories and saturated fat.
- Avoid fast food at all costs. Fast food restaurants (Wendy’s, McDonalds, etc) are landmines. It’s really hard to eat anything of nutritional value there. Subway is perhaps the exception, and you can make your own healthier options there.
- Don’t be afraid to take it “to go.” The portion sizes at restaurants are huge. You don’t have to eat everything on your plate if you’re getting full.
- Go green. You don’t have to order a salad everytime, but try and choose options with lots of veggies (like vegetable soups or sandwiches).
- Mix N’ Match Side Dishes. Even if you’re at a restaurant where everything seems unhealthy, you can create your own meal out of side salads and dishes such as mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, etc. Try and create your own meal out of complex carbs, lean protein, and plenty of fruits and veggies.
photo by my brother, DJ Suto. His blog is Geocentrism.