This is part of the 30 Day iPhone App Workout Challenge. Join the challenge and read all the posts here.
Welcome to the 30 Day iPhone Workout Challenge!! Today’s the perfect day to use your phone for something other than Instagramming latte art.
Today we’re kicking of the challenge with one of my favorite FREE running apps: the thrilling, scripted ZOMBIES RUN! Be prepared to run from zombies and experience a thrilling, immersive story that motivates you to run faster.
App to Download: Zombies Run (free in the app store)
Workout Length: 35+ minutes
Type of Workout: Running interval training
What you need: An armband to hold your phone while running, earbuds, good running shoes
About Zombies Run
The story starts with your helicopter bringing supplies to a human outpost in the middle of a zombie infestation. But suddenly — your helicopter is shot down by a rocket launcher! And now you’re running from zombies and trying to make it back to the base alive. In the first episode alone, you start to learn about the characters, wonder who shot you down, and actually feel like you’re in the story. Then, after your run you can use the supplies you collected on your run to build your base.
I love this app because the adrenaline rush is REAL you guys. This app makes running fun again and it’s what got me through the training for my first half marathon.
The video game aspect of this app will make it addicting, and it will motivate you to work out more so you can build your base and figure out what will happen next.
Today you’re doing your first mission! Before you get started:
- Make sure that you have something to secure your phone to your person (i.e. an armband). Running outside is more fun and energizing, and I would recommend that. It’s OK to run on a treadmill, just make sure “step counting” is on, and that you have an armband.
- When running outside, be sure to pick an area where you can safely run from zombies. I prefer running on the track, the beach, or on a trail because you don’t have to worry about stopping at stoplights or cars when you’re trying to get away from the zombies.
- Make sure you have your running playlist ready to go. In between mission updates, you’ll be running with your own playlist. This can be another app like Spotify, or whatever music is on your phone. Just make sure you have something dramatic, awesome, and high-tempo to keep you going!
- You can run after the mission continues. There are two radio DJ’s who make jokes and talk about life now that the zombies are here after the mission’s over. If you feel like it, keep running to hear their witty banter!
- Go at your own pace. This is an interval run, so you should be running at a fairly quick tempo (but not where you’re out of breath) and then giving it your ALL when the zombies chase you.
If you want to make your run more challenging, simply pick up the pace!
Have fun, good luck, and let me know how you liked day one by leaving a comment! See you tomorrow!