Also it’s good preparation for zombie apocalypses/Hunger Games that could be present in our distant futures. Train now, survive later!
TIP #1: START HYDRATING 3 HOURS BEFORE YOUR RUN
Trust me on this one! Hydration is a critical factor for endurance, and in order to properly hydrate you can’t just chug water 5 minutes before your run. Your cells need time to properly absorb the water you’re drinking.
TIP #2: EAT WELL OR DIE
And by “die” I mean “you become so exhausted you have to quit running.”
This lovely sandwich is one of my FAVORITE pre-long run breakfasts. Inside are scrambled eggs, satueed spinach, bell peppers, and onion, and the whole wheat bread is slathered with super healthy basil pesto. Two clementines on the side for some extra fruit. It has everything you need to kickstart a great run: protein and complex carbs!
You can find some more great snacks here!
TIP #3: FIGHT BOREDOM
Here are some of my favorite ways to fight boredom on those long runs:
- Listen to a podcast. (This American Life, The Moth, Welcome to Nightvale are my favorites)
- Mix up your route. One of my favorite runs is around this mountain in my hometown that has GORGEOUS views when you get to the top. It’s a five mile loop, and so much fun to run.
- Run from zombies. Try the Zombies, Run! app for an interactive adventure!
- Run with a friend. Training with a friend is always a great way to stay motivated.
- Make a new running playlist. Fast, up-tempo songs are shown to improve your endurance. Put together a great playlist for a boost!
There you have it, my three top tips!
Looking for more workouts to do? Check out my 30 Day Youtube Calendar!