Acai bowls are the hottest things in superfoods since Forever 21 discovered Kale. Have you been to Nektar? Sure you have. Acai (pronounced ass-ay-EE or somethin like that) are those bowls sold at Nektar, and they’re essentially thick smoothies with delicious toppings, but with the benefits of the acai berry superfood.
A few health benefits of acai berries:
- They are called the “Beauty Berry” in Brazil because they improve your skin and cellular health, and have anti-aging nutrients
- Improve mental functioning
- Improve energy levels
Now most acai bowls have this learning curve because most recipes have like 10+ ingredients (half of which you must go to Whole Foods to find because seriously dragonfruit? My Fresh and Easy Express does not carry that) and it can be daunting.
But never fear! Below are three steps to building your own acai bowl out of SIMPLE ingredients as well as Simple Mixed Berry Acai Bowl I made entirely out of things I found in my kitchen (minus the actual acai packets.)
Step One: Pick Your Acai
I use Samzabon Acai packets. Just go to your freezer section, check in the “smoothie/frozen fruit” section, and look for the acai smoothie packs.
You can also buy powdered Acai, which can add some nutritional boosters to your plain jane smoothies as well.
Step Two: Blend Your Base
I blended two Samzabon Acai packets with 1/3 cup of vanilla almond milk and a few frozen fruits, and a banana. Keep it thick, don’t add too much liquid.
**Note: you have to run the smoothie packs under water before opening them, otherwise they’ll be too frozen to blend!
Step Three: Add Toppings
Pour your base into a bowl and add toppings.
- Granola, seeds, and nuts. This is a great way to add protein to your bowl.
- Sliced fruit. Kiwi, strawberry, banana, passionfruit — seriously whatever kind of fruit you want, go ahead and add (except for tomato because even though that’s *technically* a fruit let’s be real it would not taste good on an acai bowl)
- Honey or Agave. If you want a little bit of natural sweetener, I suggest adding honey, or agave syrup. I used honey and that worked out for me.
The Recipe: Simple Mixed Fruit Acai Bowl
Here is the recipe for the
lazy simple acai bowl pictured in my pinterest-ready photos!
(makes one big bowl or two of the mini bowls pictured in the photos)
- 2 Acai packets
- 1/3 cup vanilla almond milk (more if necessary)
- 1 banana
- Banana Slices
- Drizzled Honey
- Blend the base together, pour into bowl
- Top with toppings
- Enjoy and share this blog post 😉
This is a clean recipe. Want to learn more about clean eating? Check out my recipes and 30 Day Clean Eating Challenge here!