Day 1: How To Prep & Detox
Do you know those cooking shows where the lady is telling you all these things you need to do, and while you’re furiously chopping and trying to catch up, she’s got like ten bowls of pre-measured pre-chopped stuff that she throws together in two seconds, often times making you feel inadequate and a terrible chef?
stop being perfect, martha
The only difference between you and the cooking show hosts (besides the fact that they have a TV show) is that they have prepared everything beforehand.
The importance of prepping your food ahead of time is CRITICAL if you’re like me and you have a zillion and a half things to do in your life and time for only five of them. Preparing snacks and vegetables beforehand ensures you stick with clean eating!
4 Tips: Prepping for Clean Eating
1. Shop for the whole week. The benefit of meal planning is that you can buy pretty much all your ingredients on prep day. My prep day is Sunday, and I buy my groceries and prep them for the whole week then.
2. Chop your veggies in accordance to the recipes you’re making this week! I always have chopped red peppers and onions in containers in my fridge, because I put them on my grilled veggie sandwiches, salads, and in my eggs.
3. Measure out snacks. The number one enemy to eating healthy is unhealthy snacking! That’s why it’s important to measure out a bunch of snacks (like healthy trail mix, dried fruit) into ziplock bags so you can grab them when you need them.
4. Cut and wash fruit. I’m taking this tip from my old health teacher! I remember him telling him that he and his family always have a variety of fresh fruit for breakfast in the mornings. He cuts up a whole bunch of fruits (kiwis, strawberries, blueberries — berries are the best kinds of fruit!) and then puts them in those large ziplock boxes. It takes zero seconds to prepare in the morning, and always ensures they start their day off right.
3 Detox Tips
When you’re starting on the clean eating challenge, it’s always great to get a fresh start by flushing out the toxins in your body from the unhealthy food you’re used to eating.
- Make Detox Lemon Cucumber Water. Keep this in your fridge at all times! By replacing sugary drinks with water, you’re cutting out tons of empty calories. And this special (and delicious!) clean detox water contains ginger, which has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Detox your mind. Do yoga and try meditation! These help unclutter your mind and really help you feel grounded.
- Eat fruit first thing in the morning. Fruit on an empty stomach helps flush out your digestive system and give you energy, unlike heavier foods like grains.
Stay strong through day one! I’ll see you beautiful people tomorrow 🙂