Come in, come in. Sit down, why don’t you? See these battered books? The way these towering oak shelves stretch to the ceiling? I’ve read all of them. From The Hunger Games to The Count of Monte Cristo. It’s all here.
Do you read? I know, it’s hard to find time to explore these worlds. Remember when we were children? The way we chased these intangible places and adventures? Over time, we had to put the books away and don our grown-up caps and get to work.
But reading isn’t something you can’t afford not to do.
WHY YOU MUST START READING AGAIN
- Reading makes you smarter. Unlike TV, your brain must actively conjure up worlds and characters. Your brain is like any other muscle: if you don’t use it, it begins to atrophy!
- Reading improves your vocabulary. I’m not saying you should throw around ephemeral in relation to the dessert you just ate, but having a strong vocabulary helps on many fronts.
- Reading improves concentration and focus. In the technology age, concentration is going by the wayside. By reading, you’re improving your ability to focus, which improves productivity, which finally leads to more free time for more reading!
- Studies show that reading improves your memory.
- Reading reduces stress. Try reading a few chapters before bed! It will help you unwind and decompress by bringing you to a faraway world.
- Books are hilarious. Haven’t read anything by Lemony Snicket? I am so sorry. I want to hunt you down and hug you, because you are truly missing out. Besides being hilarious and breaking all the rules with his Series of Unfortunate Events, perhaps the most wonderful/disturbing/comedic children’s book series out there. (But, like Harry Potter, they’re a must read for all ages.)
- Books are great conversation topics. Reading in coffeeshops = a great way to meet fellow readers!
- Books are adventures. Two words: Harry Potter.
- Books are almost ALWAYS better than their movie counterparts. (But it’s still fun to see the movies anyways!)
This category exists here on Reality of You to re-introduce you to the joys of reading by helping you discover your next favorite book.
Make yourself a mug of steaming hot tea. Grab a blanket. (Or a Snuggie. Whatever floats your boat.) And sit in front of the fire, the flames flickering off the walls.
Crack open a book and lose yourself. You deserve it.