I like starting my day off with a detoxifying fruit water because it’s a delicious way to cleanse your system. By allowing the fruit to soak in your water overnight in your fridge, your water becomes infused with nutrients and flavor of the fruit. I’ve assembled the best of the best detox waters that contain anti-aging properties and help flush toxins from your body. (Another way to flush ze toxins? WORK OUT! Right now I’m doing a 30 Day iPhone App Workout Challenge, come do it with me!)
I also took kickass photos with my brother’s camera, and may or may not have told the cucumber water to “work it” and show off that “smize.” I now realize that I’ve been definitely watching too much Top Model recently. But I can’t stop! It’s so addicting! You watch one episode and you can’t stop!
Tips for making these detox waters:
- These recipes are single-serve and make one glass. But you can refill your glass with water as many times as you’d like, and I usually make it in the morning and then keep refilling my cup with water and they last all day!
- Try using sparkling water instead of normal water and serve at special occasions in champagne flutes
- If you want to make a 2 liter pitcher, fill half of the pitcher with fruit. I would recommend also throwing in a little ginger root, which has anti-inflammatory compounds and aids in digestion. Don’t add ginger to a single glass– it’s a bit overpowering and requires a pitcher.
This green drink is delicious with a light, fruity aftertaste. Cucumbers are a fantastic addition to these detox waters because they make the water refreshing and juicy, if that makes any sense. (I’m destined to be a food writer, if you can tell.) Use overripe kiwis if possible!
- Great Skin: Cucumbers are full of great nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin A, iron, calcium, vitamin K and potassium.
- Cucumbers are especially great for detoxing because they prevent water retention and have anti-inflammatory properties.
- 2 kiwis
- 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cucumber
- A sprig of mint
- Kiwi is a superfood and is packed with vitamins A and E which help prevent free radicals as well as certain types of cancer. Kiwis also helps flush out toxins from the colon, which improves your overall health and well being.
- Strawberries help fight carcinogens and contains anti-aging properties such as biotin and the antioxidant ellagic acid, which helps prevent sagging skin.
- 2 strawberries
- 2 kiwis
This water is the best summer detox drink! Bonus: I learned how to cube watermelon while I was doing this. Basically you cut slices and then just cut those into cubes so it’s not an intense cooking skill, but it’s a big accomplishment or someone like me
- Watermelon contains citrulline, an amino acid that helps improve liver function by filtering and getting rid of ammonia, which can damage cells.
- Mint leaves help improve digestion and get rid of stomach cramps.
- 1/2 cup cubed watermelon
- 3 mint leaves
Cleansing Lemon Mint
This is a simplified version of my Lemon Detox Water, and you can find the detox benefits of this drink here! This is by far my most popular detox drink, but if you don’t have a ginger root lying around your house, this simplified version can be your best friend.
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 slices of cucumber
- 2 mint leaves
Berry Blast tastes the best with sparkling water! It’s good on its own, of course. In this photo I forgot the blackberries (three cheers for being prepared!) but hey, I can’t get everything right all the time unlike my favorite show Who’s Line is it Anyways which can do no wrong! (Off-topic, but a totally valid point. Luckily, this blog isn’t high school, because I can just improv posts off the top of my head and the points don’t matter.)
- Raspberries contain anti-inflammatory phytochemicals that are anti-aging and anti-cancer.
- Handful of Raspberries
- Handful of Blackberries
I hope you guys enjoy the drinks! I had a great time coming up with the recipes, and even dying in the heat as I took these photos and found the fruit’s good side.
See you guys tomorrow!
More recipes and ways to eat clean just like this one!